analytics

"Eastcourt" SOLD BY JUNE FRANK!

Located in arguably one of Queensland’s best streets this outstanding 1800’s property offers traditional period features blended with modern convenience to provide the perfect lifestyle.

Magnificent street presence with wrap around verandahs featuring original iron lace panels and bay windows is highlighted by the lush deep lawn.

A traditional layout to the front of the property includes 2 front bedrooms off the hall the main with walk in robe and ensuite. Formal lounge and dining are ideal for special guests including a drink in front of the fire place.

A central area originally a court yard now provides a casual living area the hub of family living spilling out through bi fold doors to an undercover entertainment area and resort style pool.

To the left of the court is a two way family bathroom, outstanding laundry with great cupboard and bench space and third down stairs bedroom. A verandah wraps around this space and is perfect for a drying area.

To the right of the court is the quality kitchen with granite bench tops including island bench providing good space for prep work. Colonial style doors and drawers compliment the decor. The area encompasses a dining and casual area featuring an original marble fire place with exquisite hand painted tiles featuring Victorian Ladies.

There is also a work room in this area. Internal stairs with timber balustrade lead to a teenagers retreat with study/TV room 2 large built in bedrooms and bathroom. Both bedrooms open to a huge balcony enjoying Easterly views.

1447m2 easily accommodates large lawns, swimming pool, high carport and shed beautifully designed to compliment the property and house boats campervans and high vehicles.

A truly magnificent property on a rare opportunity purchase.

-          Executive Victorian Residence

-          Formal Lounge – dining

-          2 fire place

-          5 Bedrooms – Ensuite

-          3 Bathrooms

-          Casual Living area

-          Teenage retreat – 3rd living area and balcony

-          Resort style pool

-          4 car accommodation

-          Fully fenced – Automatic gate

-          Quality Kitchen – Granite Bench Tops

-          Huge internal laundry

-          Concrete Stumps

-          New roof

-          Solar panels

-          Re-wired

-          Walk to Girls Grammar, rail, Queens Park and shops

History of "Eastcourt"

“Eastcourt” was built around 1893 by Ebenezer Watson Hargreaves, an Ipswich Council alderman from 1872 to 1882. Mr Hargreaves, a tin smith by trade, is said to have arrived in Australia from Yorkshire in 1862, accompanied by his wife and young children. After abandoning his idea to grow cotton, he established a hardware store in Brisbane Street. After he and his family rented for awhile, he built “Eastcourt”, and later moved into the more elaborate “Merton”, at 2 York Street, listed separately, which he also built for himself. The house was rented to a Mrs Landy, a widow with several children, around 1912. The principal of the Ipswich Technical College, Mr GJ Saunders, lived in it during World War 1. In the early part of the 1920’s, it was home for Ipswich Police Magistrate, APW Tregear and his family. His wife, Mary Tregear, whose name is now commemorated on a girls’ hostel in Limestone Street, was the first president of the QCWA in Ipswich, and did a great deal to help country mothers and children.

Around 1927, “Eastcourt” became the home of a young and rising politician, Josiah Francis, a former Mayor of Ipswich and MLA; and his wife, formerly Edna Clarke Cribb, the daughter of James Clarke Cribb, MLA. Apparently, they first rented the house, and did not buy it until 1939. Josiah captured the Liberal vote in Ipswich for more than 30 years. As its owner moved up the political ladder, “Eastcourt” became the meeting place of heads of State and the nation’s leaders. Fellow politician and friend, Robert Menzies, stayed at “Eastcourt” on many occasions, as did the Caseys and others. An extra wing was added to the house as an office block. A staunch member of the RSL, he had a great deal to do with the building of the Ipswich Soldiers’ Memorial Hall. Sir Josiah was knighted by the Queen in 1957 whilst he was Australian Consul-General in New York. During this period of overseas service, “Eastcourt” was sold. In the 1960’s, the house was apparently used as a student hostel. It has since been reconverted to a private residence.

This house, set back from the front alignment, presents a corrugated iron, pyramidal roof to York Street. This roof line had added vertical elements of a finely detailed, cylindrical ventilator, and a corbelled brick chimney. The main roof features paired eaves brackets, and the stepped down, curved verandah roof, also of corrugated iron, wraps around the house. The verandah walls are lined with chamferboard, and a pair of symmetrically placed bay windows project into the front verandah space. The main entry door on this verandah features sidelights and fanlights. Verandah detailing includes moulded capitals and timber uprights, and elegant lace work brackets and balustrade.

5 3 2
Address 9 York St, East Ipswich
Price SOLD
Property Type Residential
Property ID 1427
Category House
Land Area 1,447 m2

Quick Links

Agent Details

June Frank photo

June Frank

0423 426 942
View Profile
Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: